Answered By: Information Abbotsford Last Updated: Sep 07, 2018 Views: 15
Yes you can use the resources in our library but we do have certain rules. Here's our policy:
Computer and Internet Use Policy for Community Users
The purpose of this policy is to insure the legal, moral, and ethical use of computer and internet resources in the UFV Library.
Computer usage at the UFV library must comply with UFV Policy 14, Appropriate Use of Computing and Network Resources.
Conditions of Use
- The computing and network resources of UFV are provided to UFV faculty, staff, students and the public to use for UFV-related work. Priority is given to UFV faculty, staff and students. Community users may use the equipment if sufficient resources are available at the time.
- In the library, UFV-related work would include access to Library catalogs, Library licensed digital resources and databases, and other internet resources used for the purposes of research, study, and learning.
- As material posted on the Internet is unregulated, the Library does not guarantee the authenticity, reliability or safety of information retrieved.
- Users are prohibited from using the computing resources for purposes unrelated to the goals of UFV, or in ways which violate UFV policies or the laws of Canada.
- Use of UFV computing resources for the purposes of conducting private business or commercial activities is prohibited.
- Users may not transmit or display on their work screens any images, sounds or messages which create an atmosphere of discomfort or harassment for others.
- The receipt, transmission or display of offensive images, sounds or messages is a violation of this policy.
- Users may not attempt to degrade system performance or capability.
- Users may not negatively affect the work of others.
- Chat and gaming activities are not permitted.
- All users must comply with the Canadian Copyright Act.
- All users must comply with the UFV Library’s Acceptable Conduct Policy.
- Library staff may impose time limits on computer use, and may ask the patron to end their session if the computer is required by a UFV student, staff or faculty member.
- The library reserves the right to designate computers for a specific purpose.
- The library will record the names and identification of all non-UFV computer users, including a record of station used, date and time.
- The library will treat this data as private and confidential, and not disclose it to a third party, without just cause or due process in the context of a disciplinary or criminal investigation.
Consequences of Violation of Policies
- Failure to comply with these regulations may result in suspension or loss of computer privileges.